In 1826 the exuberant and extroverted James Allardice founded the distillery and produced his ‘Guid GlenDronach’ single malt. Down the years, the distillery he created has thrived under the stewardship of far-sighted investors like Walter Scott in 1847 and Captain Charles Grant in 1920. In more recent times, GlenDronach was bought in 1960 by William Teacher & Sons. Originally, all of the workers at GlenDronach lived on site, including the distillery manager, staff, excise man, brewer and all of their families. To this day many of the old houses still remain. The most famous of them all is Glen House, which was built in 1771. Home to many of the distillery’s managers, the grand Georgian building could probably tell a tale or two. Rumour has it; the front room is haunted by a Spanish lady, who travelled over to Scotland in a sherry cask. Apparently she is quite partial to the odd tipple now and then. In 1968, GlenDronach was released as a single malt brand for the first time and the brand’s reputation grew from strength to strength. In 2008, nothing less than a complete renaissance began. The BenRiach Distillery Company became GlenDronach’s proud new owner. While time can never stand still, the commitment of the team at GlenDronach will ensure that the distinctive practices that have always defined the distillery will live on – the most influential of these, its return to independent ownership.
The most famous of them all is Glen House, which was built in 1771. Home to many of the distillery’s managers, the grand Georgian building could probably tell a tale or two. Rumour has it; the front room is haunted by a Spanish lady, who travelled over to Scotland in a sherry cask. Apparently she is quite partial to the odd tipple now and then. Today, Glen House is used for corporate entertainment and is enjoyed by guests from around the world.
The house was originally called Boynsmill and was renamed by James Allardice when the distillery was built in 1826.
The GlenDronach Distillery was one of the first licensed distilleries in Scotland.
The distillery was bought over by Walter Scott (From Teaninich).
GlenDronach was the largest duty paying distillery in the Scottish Highlands.
Over 50 people lived on site at this time, including all of the workers and their families.
Captain Charles Grant bought over the distillery.
Charles was the son of the founder of the Glenfiddich Distillery
The distillery was bought over by William Teacher & Sons.
Teacher's expanded the number of stills at GlenDronach from two to four.
The distillery was mothballed for a number of years by its owners Allied Distillers.
GlenDronach was once again in full production.
Allied Distillers was taken over by Pernod Ricard and the distillery was passed to Chivas Brothers.
The distillery was one of the last to heat the stills by coal fire.
GlenDronach was taken over by the BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd.
The BenRiach Distillery Company was named Global Whisky Distiller of the Year at the 2015 Icons of Whisky Awards. A fantastic achievement for a small privately-owned independent company to win this prestigious global award.
© The BenRiach Distillery Company Ltd. 2017 Queen Anne Drive, Lochend Industrial Estate, Newbridge, EH28 8PL Company No: Sc258480